Saturday, November 2, 2013

Currently my favorite websites are lynda.com, coursera.org, and khanacademy.org. There are others that I enjoy such as Ted Talks, but I find I spent most of my spare time on the educational sites. I enjoy spending my time learning and each of these sites represents different aspects of technology I can learn and benefit from.

Lynda helps me to understand how to use the software and apps as efficiently as possible. At lynda's they provide video tutorials presented by experts in their respective fields many of these experts have more than twenty years experience and wisdom to share. The learning is self paced and self directed. I can go to the site at my discretion and choose what I want to learn, when ever I want to do so. 

Cousera is at the fore front of the new educational paradigm commonly referred to as the MOOC, massive open online courses. Thus far I have only partaken in a handful of courses including Social Psychology presented by Scott Plous through Wesleyan University, Crafting and Effective Writer: Tools of the Trade presented by Lawrence Barkley, Ted Blake, and Lorrie Ross through Mt. San Jacinto College, and Human-Computer Interaction by Scott Klemmer through UC San Diego. These MOOC's are set up as a learning community the professors provide weekly video lectures and create assignment then through discussion forums and practice we, the students, all learn together. It is necessary to preregister for these courses and if you are going to participate in the lessons you must abide by the schedule of the syllabus. There is always the option of only watching the lectures, but if you do not participate you will not get credit for the course and it is unlikely you will gain as much from the course. 

Khan Academy like the others presents much of it's content through video tutorials. I like to use the Khan Academy for it's math and programming lesson plans. They provide an inexhaustible series of exercises to practice and track your personal progress for you. This is also self paced, you can come and go from the site as you see fit. 

These are my top three picks for best websites.


No comments:

Post a Comment